Community Development Committee
August 26-29, 2001 - Savannah, GA
August 26-29, 2001


Chris Sieverdes, Clemson University
Alfred Wade, Prairie View A&M University
Charles Sheppard,
Dana Glenn, West Virginia State College
Clyde Chesney, Tennessee State University
Charles Artis, South Carolina State University
Gregg Taylor, Texas A&M University
Alan Barefield, University of Tennessee
Steve Holbook,
Mike Woods, Oklahoma State University
Ed Jones, University of North Carolina
Bonnie Teater, Southern Rural Development Center
John McKissick, University of Georgia
Sandy Dooley, Louisiana State University
Virgil Culver, Mississippi State University
Randy Williams,
Harry Strawn, Auburn University
Rick Maurer, University of Kentucky
Bo Beaulieu, Southern Rural Development Center
Larry Arrington, University of Florida
Hank Cothran, University of Florida
Gae Broadwater, Kentucky State University
Sally Maggard, United States Department of Agriculture

2. Chris introduced Ron Brown who is the new Southern Region Extension Director. Chris discussed the need and ways to establish communication links. Dr. Brown stated that his wish was to have the PLC tell him how he can be most effective as an advocate for the CRD PLC. Chris said that the PLC would provide Dr. Brown with a summary of the outcomes of this PLC meeting. Rick Maurer talked about the need to speed-up the communications process and the need to make greater utilization of our administrative advisor. There was a general discussion of multi-state programs. Bo noted that the report from Margaret Hale, and our discussion of and comments about that report should be provided to Dr. Brown. Dr. Brown responded that the model of core competencies for extension agents and the need to upgrade our educational materials and training programs is a focus of the Extension Directors. The challenge to the PLC is for quick action. Dr. Brown is interested in our thoughts on how to facilitate communication between the committees and the PLCs. The challenge to the PLCs is to make things happen and make them happen multi-state. Dr. Brown noted that we are seeing good cooperation in program delivery. The focus needs to expand to include materials development. We need curriculum developed in small pieces that can be easily adapted and easily updated. We have lots of opportunities to share. Greg Taylor and Rick Maurer talked about the ways to identify what is out there and what needs to be done. Dr. Brown said that we have an opportunity to recommend the structure of a competency based education committee.

3. Margaret Hale discussed a proposal that was developed jointly with the SRDC Board. A copy of the proposal was handed out (and is available on the web). This is a proposal to provide a comprehensive community-development training program for extension faculty in the south. The Directors reviewed this proposal at their spring meeting and suggested that a three-year training program be developed and the addition of eco-tourism component. This training program will include a train-the-trainer component and a volunteer training program (something like a Master Gardner program). The training program will also include specialized tracks. Participants would be expected to develop and deliver programs upon return to their states. SRDC will provide the foundation training every other year. Throughout the year there would be specialized training offered throughout the region. She requested input from the PLC on this proposal.

Sally Maggard noted the need to spread our skills. Greg Taylor noted that this is a way to leverage the skills we have across the region at both a fundamental and advanced competency level. This proposal provides a framework for accomplishing this. Margaret Hale also noted that this proposal also provides the Directors with a multi-year plan that they could rely on to schedule training for faculty. Bo noted the need for the PLC to focus on how to make this proposal a reality before this PLC meeting ends. Bo said that we need committees to develop cutting edge curricula in each of these areas. There may be some material available but much of this is outdated and is in need of revision. Gae pointed out that we have a good foundation and that it is flexible. Bo discussed several efforts that are currently underway or that have taken place such as eCommerce, Take Charge, Sustainable Development, Civic Engagement (Greg Taylor) and Economic Development (Mike Woods) that either have been done are on-going. Larry Arrington said that the Directors are expecting a time line for implementation. Ron Brown noted that we must agree to do things multi-state and to do them in a timely fashion.

4. Steve Holbrook gave a brief report on the activities of the Farm Foundation. (get documents from him). He also provided handouts on the high priority projects for 2002 and the Foundation's web site. He advised the group that the National Public Policy Meeting is in September.

The priority projects for 2002 are:

5. Ed Jones moved and Mike Woods seconded approval of the July 27, 2001 meeting.

6. A nominating committee consisting of Charles Artis, Bo Beaulieu and Rick Maurer was appointed to select officers for the next year.

7. Clyde Chesney gave a brief report on the activities of the 1890 institutions. He discussed several programs ongoing at Tennessee State. Larry Arrington followed with an overview of his role.

8. Sally Maggard, National Program Leader for Economic and Community Systems, provided a CSREES Update. Of particular importance is the upcoming listening session in New Orleans on October 25. If you cannot attend, comments are being accepted by mail (3 copies), fax or email.

Bo and Sally announced the new southern region competitive grants pilot program developed through a collaboration of SRDC and Southern-SARE: "Sustainable Community Innovation Grants Program." The program will support projects that strengthen both agriculture and Southern communities through explicit linkages between sustainable agriculture and community development.
Projects should pursue local strategies that link sound farm and non-farm economic development with agricultural and natural resource management and involve partnerships among relevant stakeholders - such as farmers, ranchers, researchers, community organizations, environmentalists, agriculture and community development professionals, entrepreneurs, and governmental and non-governmental organizations. The complete Call for Proposals will be released September 3, 2001, and will be on the web sites of Southern SARE at and SRDC at Proposals are due November 2, 2001, with awards of up to $10,000 per project to be made in early February 2002.

Randy Williams talked about entrepreneurial agriculture and forestry programs. There are three state pilot programs and he is looking for several more. He also reported that Building Better Rural Communities is being updated, expanded and will be published soon. A website is being developed to on the pilot program and grants. In the mean time, call him for further information. The book is on the web. Another book is "The New American Farmer" and can be found at

9. ECOP and Program Leadership Committee Report - Charles Artis and Rick Maurer

PLC - We need to provide suggestions on how to approach multi-state programs before Wednesday morning. The location for next year's meeting is Nashville, Tenn., August 25 - 28, at the Music City Sheraton. Gae reviewed the questions that the we must address before Wednesday morning.

ECOP - general purpose is to review national base programs and national initiatives. The concerns of ECOP were generally discussed this morning with Ron Brown. However the key issues are communications and timely response. Randy Williams talked about the need to restructure the way we work because it currently takes a year or more to move from initiative to program. Do we have a current set of skills that is adequate for the market place? If not, how are these to be developed and delivered?

10. USDA-CSREES Base Program Team Reports

11. Report from the SRDC - see PowerPoint presentation

Based on a strategic planning process, the SRDC mission statement was revised. Five new goals were developed. Bonnie handed out brochures on up-coming educational programs. GIS maps are being developed for workforce development areas for each state. These will be on the SRDC website. If you know of anyone working on rural education issues, contact Bo or Bonnie. No one took advantage of the proposal for sabbatical leave. Four senior fellows proposals were funded. Extramural funding was almost $343,000. Base funding was $256,000.

12. Business Retention and Expansion - Hank and Chris

Hank discussed the "traditional" BRE program and the curriculum that he is developing for a Florida training program in October. It is his intent to develop this curriculum into a BRE training program that does not necessarily lead to certification by BRE International. Chris talked about the BRE Leadership program that he developed in South Carolina. Sally raised the issue of linking these programs to the programs discussed by Randy Williams. Mike Woods talked about the link between these other programs and BR&E. He also pointed out that there is a need to work on business creation. There followed a general discussion of the need to identify curricula needs and coordinate these across the region. Chris suggested that before we leave a group develop an outline for economic development. Hank, Mike, John and Alan will work on this.

13. Bo and Sally pointed out that the same approach is needed for each area in the needs to be taken in each area.

14. Dana Glenn gave a report on the activities of West Virginia State College (the 1892 school). She is in the Division of Agriculture, Consumer, Environmental and Outreach Programs. They have 50 faculty and staff and are responsible for ANR, Workforce Development, Youth Development, Nutrition Education, Family and Consumer Sciences and Community and Economic Development. More recently the city of Charleston has asked them to take over after school programs. WVSC focuses on 13 counties in the state. The breadth of their programs and size of their staff makes partnering essential. Chris asked the group to share resources with her as they saw fit. More specifically, he asked Ed Jones to share disaster preparedness materials from North Carolina with her. Florida will also provide her a copy of its manual. Sandy Dooley noted that LSU has material on its website.

15. Qualified Zone Academy Bonds (Organizations Concerned about Rural Education) - money is flowing to the states, but Extension is not a part of it. The intended target is rural schools.

16. Joint Meeting with Other Committees

17. Nonprofit Organization Assessment and Training - Chris discussed the availability of material on the web and the issues regarding copyright infringement. Mike said just give credit and let those who take the material from the web deal with copyright infringement issues. The final suggestion was to put it on the web in a PDF file and to add Power point slides. He and Gae have put most of this material together. The basic material has been compiled and now they are working on preparing the final materials. Their goal is to have curriculum material ready for SRDC by January 2002. They will share an outline with the group in the near future.

18. State reports were handed out - send the electronic report to Bonnie for inclusion in the minutes.

University of Alabama State Report

Clemson University Extension State Report

University of Georgia State Report

Mississippi State Report

North Carolina State Report

Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service

University of Tennessee State Report

Texas A & M University State Report

19. Conference calls will continue to be the last working day of the month, every other month at 10:00 EST. There will be calls on September 28, November 30, January 31, March 29, May 31 and July 31. The call goes through SRDC. The proposed mid-year meeting date and location will be February 24 in the afternoon in Orlando.

20. Filled out Ron Brown form. Moved by Sandy, seconded by Ed.

1. How do we address the needs for multi-state programming better and more efficiently?

Additional comments

  • Travel funds
  • Director endorsement (written)
  • Administrator support for release time for multi-state activities
  • Portion of allocated funds reserved for multi-state activities
  • Multiple versions on website with individual state CES credit and logo
  • Credit for authorship noted on publications
  • Better and/or improved documentation of current activities


  • One size does not always fit all (Local Government Training)
  • Administrators need to be included with Directors

2a. How can PLC facilitate better communications between directors and administrators and the work of committees?

  • Programming is driven by issues and multi-disciplinary approaches
  • System already in place - a two-page form already exists
  • Consider production of issue oriented materials
  • Develop policy and position statements that reflect the "big picture"
  • Directors need to spend more time on PLC concerns
  • Change PLC reporting format to executive report plus action items

2b. How can we speedup the process of multi-state programming?

3. What is the role of directors and administrators to the regional committees?

4. What do you see as the role of the Executive Director of ASRED in relation to PLC?

1. Nominations - Charles Artis reported the following nominations: Gae Broadwater chair, Alan Barefield - vice chair, Hank Cothran - secretary. Greg Taylor moved acceptance of the report by acclamation. Unanimous approval.

2. On behalf of the CRD Committee Chris thanked Charles Artis for his work on PLC.

3. Review of "Margaret Hale" proposal. Bo provided a general overview of how this plan came into being. We may need to rethink the decision to offer CDI every other year. The long-term goal is to have a team of trainers in each state. These teams will receive their training in CDI and the "advanced" CDI (as proposed in the MH paper). Sally Maggard noted that the outline might need to be revisited after the February meeting. There was discussion about the "level" of the courses and the different options for delivery such as on-line, video conferencing, etc. A general discussion of the philosophy of CDI ensued. Bo - Do we want those who attend the "advanced" training to be graduates of the basic CDI? We want committees to develop curriculum and to identify what's there and what's missing? Mike - Given the curriculum, how long do you expect to spend on each area? Each area could have multi-year curriculum. If we are to do CDI again in 2002, the focus needs to be on train-the-trainer. States need to send teams that will be charged with delivering the training in their states. Rick suggested that we take this back to our states and have Specialists look at the tracks to flesh out the content areas.

The following people volunteered to lead a review for each of the topic areas:

What needs to be done by each team?

What needs to be done by the Directors?

Rick gave an update on the morning PLC meeting. It is important that someone from our institution(s) be represented at the New Orleans listening session.

We also need to identify two programs where the institution is engaged (as defined in the Engaged Institution reports). Ed Jones or Bonnie will send a copy of the request to CRD Committee members.

Carolyn Nobles from FCS is the new chair of PLC. Charles Cox, 4-H Youth, is Vice Chair.

Charles Artis noted the need to reaffirm the multi-state commitment.

Several members noted vacant positions in their states.

John McKissick talked about a new agriculture and natural resource on-line data base. The website is This on-line system allows the user to produce maps, etc.

Discussion of Advanced CDI Curriculum -ADDITIONS







Mike - Is this is an outline for the content of next year's CDI? Bo - Yes.

It was the consensus of the group that CDI be offered in 2002. It will be offered in May if PLC approves it in September. Since this is a train-the-trainer, it would be appropriate for past participants to attend again. Attendance would be limited to 3 or 4 from each state. Teams should include both 1862 and 1890 faculty. Teams would be charged with returning to their states to train county agents. This would be a week-long training in a central location such as Birmingham or Nashville

Bo suggested that after 2002 CDI would be offered every other year. In years when CDI is offered, also offer two advanced courses. In other years offer three advanced classes.

The following chart was developed as a draft of what would be offered when.





























Entrepreneurship Education


Take Charge


State, County, Local

Finance and Tax




Impact Analysis


Asset based - web based


Socio-demographic analysis - web based


Visioning, Strategic Planning, GIS meeting




The following information is due September 12 from each team leader. Send it to

Track- POW

Team members

Budget needs - travel, not curriculum development/printing

Time-line for development

Gae, on behalf of the committee, thanked Chris for his year of leadership.

The meeting adjourned at 9:45 a.m.