Program Leadership Committee
Conference Call
June 15, 2006

Nina Boston, Information Technology, University of Arkansas
Mike Bratcher, Information Technology, North Carolina A&T
Gae Broadwater, Community Development, Kentucky State University
Frankie Gould, Communications, Louisiana State University
Ed Jones, Chair of PLN-EC, Community Development, North Carolina State University
Daniel Lyons, Middle Management, North Carolina A&T
Paul Mask, Ag and Natural Resources, Auburn University
Lamar Nichols, 4-H Youth Development, Auburn University
Mitch Owen, Program & Staff Dev., North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service
Louie Rivers, Agriculture and Natural Resources, Kentucky State University
Thelma Sanders-Hunter, PLC Chair, Family & Consumer Sciences, Tennessee State University
Joe Schaefer, Middle Management, University of Florida
Larry Turner, Advisor, University of Kentucky
Dorothy Wilson, 4-H Youth Development, FCS, CRD, Langston University
Noland Williams, AEA Appointee, Kentucky State University
Tony Windham, Community Development, University of Arkansas

Ron Brown, ASRED
Kathy Ibendahl, SRDC
L. Washington Lyons, AEA

Beverly Howell, Family and Consumer Sciences, Mississippi State University
Gloria Mosby, Communications, Prairie View A&M
Jon Ort, ASRED Appointee, North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service


Thelma Sanders-Hunter, PLC chair, welcomed everyone. We're fast approaching our joint meeting.

Executive Directors and Advisors' Reports:

Committee Reports

Agriculture and Natural Resources
Louie Rivers reported that the ANR program leaders will meet July 24th in Cincinnati at the National Ag Leaders Association Meeting. The SARE national conference will be held in Wisconsin August 15 - 17. Scholarships are being offered to each state in the Southern region. Work on ANR CECP modules continues.

Frankie Gould reported that Communications held a teleconference yesterday. Terry Meisenbach, director of communication for extension attended. During the upcoming meeting in PR, Communications will have a working session where they will divide into teams and work on CECP modules and work on developing the CECP marketing plan. Terry offered to set up WIKIs for each group to exchange ideas. Rather than giving state oral reports at the meeting, Communication committee members will write one-page reports for distribution.

A Crisis Communication workshop will be held in Kansas City in mid-July. Institutions are being asked to participate.

During the last teleconference, Communications committee members talked about the ECOP task force. Larry Cody is chairing that committee and Frankie will be on it as well as Rae McKinney at North Carolina A & T. They will be developing a marketing plan to promote awareness of Extension and Land-Grant institutions. The SERA Health conference was held in Lexington, KY last week. Over 230 people attended. There were five conference tracks. This is the first conference in which they expanded their target audience to others in the health field. They had fantastic speakers.

Community Development
Gae Broadwater said that the Community Development program leaders from throughout the country met in Washington, DC May 23 - 25. This is the first time a national meeting of all the program leaders has been organized. There was a very good representation. About 35 met with their respective contacts through USDA, NASULGC, and Rural Development. NACDEP (National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals) is in the process of creating a strategic plan for CD and this was discussed at the Washington meeting. Also, regional priorities were discussed and overlap and joint projects/trainings were identified. A major outcome of this meeting was a commitment to increase communication between regions. They are working on a national leadership council with a focus on communication, operating plans, and scheduling occasional meetings. Two representatives from each region would sit on this council. The Southern Region was well represented.

CD members are plugging away on CECP modules and are actively involved in the eXtension entrepreneurship community of practice.

Family and Consumer Sciences
Thelma Sanders-Hunter gave the report. On May 31, FCS held a fly-in meeting in Atlanta to continue work on CECP modules. They reviewed the dietary guidelines module, identified tech specialists, estimated timelines to identify core competencies, and discussed conducting an internal peer review. In addition, they plan to conduct an external peer review. They are exploring WIKI technology to see how they can better collaborate. FCS is requesting that Extension continue supporting CECP and include training in CECP.

4-H Youth Development
Dorothy Wilson said their committee has almost completed its current CECP modules. A lot has been accomplished. She attended the Children, Youth and Families at Risk conference. Good information was presented there.

The committee will meet via phone conference on July 6th. During the last meeting on April 6, they discussed the Southern Region Leaders Forum to be held in Georgia this October and the biennial conference to be held April 10, 2007 in Tulsa. The April 6th meeting went well. Also during the phone conference, they discussed ag-appropriations issues in relation to livestock.

Dorothy said that Marilyn Norman has done an excellent job in getting the 1890 institutions involved.

Information Technology
Nina Boston told the group that IT will meet again on July 13th using Centra. They will be working on the August agenda in the next few weeks. Nina has been working with FCS to create a state report template. They'll be submitting their reports online and IT will be compiling this so that they can share online.

Nina would like to know if other committees plan on doing their state reports online. Please contact Nina about this.

Middle Management
Joe Schafer reported that Middle Management held a phone conference a few weeks ago. They have agreed to have online reporting. The template has not been set up at this time.

Middle Management discussed the possibility of having a joint session with Communications and/or IT to discuss new ways to conduct in-service training for county faculty.

Clarification - It was reported that the Urban pre-conference session would be pushed back to 1 p.m. instead of 2 on Sunday, August 27th. However, Barbara Board contacted Kathy Ibendahl after this meeting and said that the Urban group will meet at 2 p.m. as usual.

Mitch Owen said that PSD is hoping to finalize the peer review process on its CECP modules. They are initializing a potential conference and trying to determine when it should take place. PSD is talking about organizing a golf outing during PLN.

2006 Joint PLN/AEA/ASRED Meeting

  • Kathy Ibendahl reported that, so far, 59 people have registered for the meeting. Many more registrations will flood in after July 1st.The rain forest tour is full and we're taking names for a waiting list.The Bacardi tour is still open.46 people have signed up for Tuesday evening's Cultural Event.
  • Kathy has received two committee agendas so far-CRD and PSD. They will be posted in the near future. She is leaving it to the committees to determine when they can meet jointly. There is no specific time allotted for joint committees. Since there are not many large rooms available, please let Kathy know when your committees will be meeting jointly so that she can make sure rooms are available.

2007 Joint Meeting

  • Last year, ASRED suggested that we do away with the host state scenario that we've been following and find meeting sites in hub cities that could easily accommodate a group this size. This will make hotel pricing and selection much easier and affordable. Many have suggested we change the days of next year's meeting. Instead of Sunday, the pre-meetings would be held on Monday and PLN would adjourn on Thursday at noon. AEA and ASRED would adjourn on Friday at noon. ASRED has approved this change and we are waiting for AEA's response. In the next couple of weeks, Kathy Ibendahl will begin sending out bids for our 2007 Joint Meeting so that the location will be set and can be announced in San Juan. Do you have suggestions of large hub city hotels? Think of places where your organizations have met in the past. The National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals met at the Crowne Plaza in San Antonio last February and that would be an excellent hotel for our group. It's near the River Walk and is large enough to accommodate our committees with room to space. 46 people have signed up for Tuesday evening's Cultural Event.
  • Kathy has received two committee agendas so far-CRD and PSD. They will be posted in the near future. She is leaving it to the committees to determine when they can meet jointly. There is no specific time allotted for joint committees. Since there are not many large rooms available, please let Kathy know when your committees will be meeting jointly so that she can make sure rooms are available.