PresentBo Beaulieu, SRDC
Gae Broadwater, Kentucky State University
Virgil Culver, Mississippi State University
Kathleen Ibendahl, SRDC
Steve Isaacs, University of Kentucky
Ed Jones, North Carolina State University
Bill Molnar, Clemson University
Emily Shaw, SRDC
George Smith, University of Tennessee
Greg Taylor, Texas A&M University
Deborah Tootle, Chair, Louisiana State University
Louis Whitesides, South Carolina State University
Tony Windham, University of Arkansas
Bill Woodrum, West Virginia
Joe Zublena, Advisor, North Carolina State Extension
Deborah Tootle called the meeting to order at 3:00 p.m. Central.
Review of August minutes
Emily Shaw asked the committee to review the minutes, and we will visit the minutes again on the January call meeting.
Joe Zublena stated that Bob sent to Extension Directors a request from Mike Peterson, University of Arkansas, is looking for help on eleven modules. The modules are called "Helping Communities Create Their Future in the 21st Century" and he is asking for assistance in reviewing them.
Joe asked if the committee has information to report to the Southern Directors from each conference call, he will be glad to that. The committee decided to incorporate the information into the minutes and Joe could pull the information out.
Skip, Sally not present.
Kathleen Ibendahl reported that PLC committee met in Atlanta, GA for their annual winter meeting on November 30-December 1, 2005 and the annual meeting will be held in Puerto Rico on August 27-31, 2006. They are still working on details and trying to locate a keynote speaker.
Tony Windham said that they had a possible keynote speaker in mind who was involved with 911 and recent hurricane disaster. The program hasn't been finalized, but the general theme is the Extension Role in Disaster Recovery. They will have two joint sessions.
Ed Jones said that we can build on at the conference in Nashville, TN next week and what happens over the next couple of months.
Ed also stated that some PLC members were interested in attending some tours or local projects at pre-conference.
Gae Broadwater stated interest in going on other program committee tours.
Deborah asked when will tours be schedule and how will he tour cut into our meeting time.
Tony responded a half of day to one day on Saturday or Sunday morning.
Gae announced that a new logo has been approved for the organization, will check with Gloria for the final copy.
Review of 2005-2006 AWP and Addition of Items
Emily Shaw stated the Addition of Items on the Annual Work Plan was taken from last year and she has not taken the action items from the August minutes.
The information went out with the agenda.
The committee decided to include Review of 2005-2006 and Addition of Items on the next conference call.
Emily reported that the early registration for NACDEP conference deadline was December 2, 2005 and the agenda is on website, but it isn't finalized. Emily encouraged everyone to get registered and get hotel rooms as soon as possible. The deadline for the hotel is Friday, January 20, 2006.
Emily asked do we need a CRD Leaders meeting at NACDEP conference in addition to a regional meeting.
The committee agreed to have a CRD Leaders' breakfast meeting on Tuesday, February 14, 2006. The Regional Meeting is Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:00 am.
Bo said that SRDC will be writing their strategic planning. SRDC seeks
control over content of the regional meeting. Bo asked how we can best use
our time on a regional basis. What is it that we want to accomplish during
session? The meeting is one hour long. Deborah asked do we want to know
the issues in other states in region. Bo said that we need more of a formal
structure, it can be valuable.
Entrepreneurial Listening Sessions Update
Bo reported the have completed all eight of the Entrepreneurial Listening Sessions. They have a tremendous amount of valuable information. There was 200-250 people involved in listening sessions. Gae will do another listening session in western Kentucky.
The SRDC/State LGUs Strategic Planning Roundtables
Bo reported that strategic planning launching a State Rural Development summit, focus group or roundtable in early 2006 that involve critical rural development issues in the state. The amount of the grant is $2,500.00/state. The state could use multiple sites or just one site to fit into rural planning efforts.
George Smith, University of Tennessee, asked about guidelines, an outline or agenda.
Bo said that there is no structured but they can design one.
It was recommended that they look at what the Southern Policy Board did last year at their listening sessions.
Please email Kathy with the name of contact, address, telephone number, email address of the PI in each state.
Bill Molnar of Clemson University in volunteered to be the PI for SC.
Gae and Laura from Kentucky will help.
The committee will begin after NACDEP.
SIRD Update -- new dates: April 24-27, 2006
Emily reported that the Southern Institution of Rural Development postponed the September meeting due to the hurricane. The new date is April 24-27, 2006. Only a few changes to agenda have been made. The focus is on post disaster recovery. Emily stated that you can go on the website and if you have any questions, please email Bo or her.
Bo received grant to facilitate Entrepreneurship eXtension work. Community of Practice consists of 20 people who will build a web-base entrepreneurial system. The inaugural meeting is scheduled for December 19 & 20, 2005 in Nashville, TN. Jim will be hosting a meeting. 30 plus listening sessions has been organized.
Creation Regional Entrepreneurship Resource Team was included in the proposal. Bo asked the committee members who were interested to consider joining the regional resource team in the South.
Deborah recommend including eXtension at the regional meeting for NACDEP.
Skip for next meeting.
Bonnie Teater Lifetime Achievement Award
Bo reported that the Bonnie Teater Lifetime Achievement Award is looking
for good proposals.
Anyone who retired in 2005 is eligible.
The criteria is you must have a key nominator to write an extensive letter on why you want to nominate this person and what have he or she done on the state and/or regional level.
Two or more letters of recommendations must be received from endorsements for the nominee with example of what he or she has done.
Rebuilding Hurricane Impacted Communities
Bo reported that they have joined forces with the Farm Foundation, CSREES and Rural Entrepreneurial Society to host a summit in Nashville, December 12 & 13, 2005. They invited people from extension, research and outside Land-Grant society. The purpose is to get people heavy impacted on the hurricane involved and continue to build on provide USDA Rural Development on the front line. They have a great agenda. The number is now up to 40 people.
Bo went on to say this is a great launching pad for comprehensive Community development work. Beginning a sustain efforts to focus on areas devastated.
The Kettering Foundation is possibility a deliberative forum on the hurricane impacted areas.
Bob stated the decisions being made from the top level and the local citizens are not given a voice or insight. A deliberative form is needed in hurricane impacted area.
Deborah said that in Louisiana, the state FEMA ES 14 will be holding community meeting in every parish that is a public forum. Deborah said that we need written material (curriculum and planning document) to help guide this process.
Bill announced that the committee can get some great materials from the National Issues Forum at www.nifi.org.
Next meeting is January 31, 2006.
Meeting adjourned 4:00 p.m. Central.