Southern Region 4-H Program Leaders
Nashville, Tennessee
August 25, 2002

(recommendations, concerns, and motions are in italics)

Dr. Foster joined us as appointed adviser.
Meeting called to order by Martha Couch.

Susan discussed dinner on Tuesday evening. Reservations at Darfon's, moderate price, close, variety of food, but no individual checks.


Martha Couch
Susan Holder
Thearon McKinney
Arch Smith
Barbara Speziale
Charles Cox
George Duncan
Dave Foster
Steve Sutton
Darlene Baker
Terril Faul
Dorothy Wilson
Marilyn Norman

Dr. Turner arrived at 11 AM for a brief visit.

Introductions and brief update:

Overview, Review of Agenda:

Martha provided an overview of the agenda and indicated that some items may shift depending on schedules, etc. Additions to the agenda were made.

Discussion about the level of 1890 involvement on PLC (Robin Glenn from South Carolina 1890 is 4-H Program Leader representative). Due to exceptional complexity, she has not been able to participate at the level needed for PLC. Additional information will need to be obtained from Robin directly. Dorothy Wilson will represent 1890 institutions if necessary.

National 4-H Youth Directions Council Update - Rachel Keeling

Rachel shared the list of representatives to the NYDC, several handouts, and a Power Point presentation. Southern Region is the only region which is fully represented with youth from every state. A Year End Report Executive Summary was also shared. NYDC reps are to be a resource to the state and local communities, particularly in the areas of adult/youth partnerships. She feels very positive about how the organization has developed and cited numerous successes. Future efforts will be focused on implementation of the 4-H Strategic Plan, development of more complete financial security, increased participation from 1890 institutions, continued advocacy for youth voices, and a commitment to increased diversity. $2800 covers one NYDC who is very active (Mississippi); the dollars needed to support these individuals is billed and kept by Louisiana.

Selection of the NYDC leadership team is sometimes a confusing issue. They must be qualified and have sufficient support from the state. Currently they apply and run for the position. State 4-H Program leaders or others must support them financially and with the responsibilities for the program. Discussion was held on the selection process and the differences among the states. A need exists for the 1890 institutions to be represented at NYDC and to formulate a process for inclusion of young people from that region, possibly treating the 1890's as a region, just as recognized by ECOP. A question was raised about the 1994 institutions and Dr. Foster felt that those groups could not fit the model as well. It was the consensus of the group that this issue of NYDC delegates be addressed. The issue is whether the two institutions in a state should have a combined process for National Conference delegates (the usual process) or whether the 1890's should be seen as a separate delegate pool to come to the NYDC group. The encouragement for greater diversity is a driving force behind this discussion. We need clarification on how this is to be accomplished, now that we have reached this level of sophistication in the development of NYDC.

Committee convened at 2:15 following the group session.

National 4-H Council Report:

Don Floyd (President and CEO of National 4-H Council) was introduced for his presentation and dialogue. He touched on a few thing that were not on the list.

By tradition ECOP has invited the President of National 4-H Council to participate in a portion of their meetings. This year, 4-H is being more involved in the discussion of the leadership, and ECOP wants to capitalize on the program visibility and need for attention. The public story is that they would like to meet with the National 4-H Trust and the lobbyists for National 4-H Council to talk about lessons learned in the conversations and the lobbying efforts. The National 4-H Council lobbying efforts have been more closely watched this year for conflict of interest and for effectiveness. Historically, the agriculture agenda has been pushed from the Deans. ECOP has been trying to figure out how to support 4-H within the context of all the general lobbying efforts. Lyla Hoglum is trying to insure the 4-H agenda so that when 4-H / National 4-H Council lobbies for program dollars, it is not seen as a detractor to the central effort. Some Deans are caught in the position that are more focused on Ag due to pressure from commodity groups. An upcoming meeting with the Trust should help with the response and approach. All University structures and our own Deans and Directors need to understand the whole developmental and experiential process we are about. It=s a hardball game and 4-H / National 4-H Council needs to effectively work within the structure.

Through ECOP and Joe Jenn, Under Secretary at CREES, have called for an external review of the Extension Service at USDA. No reviewers are from 4-H/FCS.

ECOP is reducing many committees and structures including the strategic direction team which includes 4-H.

ECOP is firmly supporting the National Leadership Trust. This is crucial to direction and support for the centralized voices in the 4-H movement.

National 4-H Council has had a tough year, (conference center down, investments are terrible, Centennial obligations, etc.). Good July for the facilities, Jane Coulter was wonderful in the response to the Farm Bill interpretation. She handpicked the panels for the review process and trained them.

Marketing at Council has had a change. Not backing off marketing, but need to move in some new directions, new plan. Tom Moore from Coca Cola will help develop a plan to position 4-H nationally.

Lots of good follow-up from Conversations. The process and event has positioned the organization in the national spotlight. Several articles in the Washington Post which span the whole spectrum of 4-H were very good. Efforts to better portray 4-H are a credit to all who helped.

National 4-H Council and their lobbyists have been all over the Hill, national conference of state legislators speaker at conference, etc..

At the April state leaders meeting, discussion about trust and national council consolidation - all have concluded they are not ready for any overlap of responsibilities, but rather that people need to continue with their strengths and work effectively toward the good of the whole.

Lights On- partnership with J C Penny is a real opportunity to bring visibility to after-school programming. This partnership with Penny brings 4-H >s efforts back into the forefront. Two individuals will work part time to help with coordination of this effort. This will provide an opportunity to bring the needs of after-school youth into the limelight.

Apprenticeship program with NAE4-HA, working with Department of Labor, puts us at the table with the right people.

Salute to Excellence - volunteers - need to try to have all the states participate in this recognition program.

The newly developed and distributed Trust brochure shows how council is trying to work differently. Through this publication, Council is trying to provide a broader perspective of what has been happening within the 4-H movement, rather than just focusing on national 4-H Council. Examine page 3 on the trust report - definition of positive youth development. Utilize this.

Council is trying to shift to work on behalf of the National Strategic Plan and the priorities that came out of the Conversations. They are now focusing staff efforts on the National 4-H movement. They have written down the types of things they will be working on over the course of the coming years. Review it and share. Much emphasis on resource development and going after dollars - lobbyists and federal dollars. Looking at $17 million in earmarked dollars (through the efforts of the lobbyists) to obtain and transfer to the states.

Shift to National 4-H Trust - examine the Trust summary pages. Much has gone into the formation, but those were important steps. Current efforts are now into things beyond the formation, storming, norming phases and now moving into program guidance. Includes: definition of youth development, statement on diversity, issue management and communication, operating principles, and membership list. (For media work training - Don went through media training - message box, message point, controlling the message, etc. He highly recommends this training.) There are also additional handouts on Trust activities furnished by Martha in the meeting packet.

Susan Halbert has had some changes in her responsibilities. She is picking up Council responsibilities in helping to implement the plans. Susan and a team of people are working on how to support the Trust and the Strategic Directions Team. A volunteer has been added to the trust this year. This volunteer needs to access volunteers and obtain feedback - this is a need to be addressed (maybe web page.) See handout of boardnetUSDA from National 4-H Council and access Web page:

North Carolina is beginning it's own state leadership trust to bring all the voices together.

Packet Information and Handouts
National 4-H Congressional Contact Crews concept paper was also made available. Program Leaders are requested to help Don bring the names forward. (Three pieces). Once ECOP makes its review, then there will be a need to move ahead. Read these. Other materials in the packet that should be carefully examined include:
Western 4-H Institute
Executive Summary - youth development NAE4-HA apprenticeship program
Leadership Trust State Contributions. Each state would help support the trust.
Finances for Fiscal Year 2001-2002.

Charles Cox made a motion - Southern Region 4-H Program Leaders will support an annual assessment to support committee work at the national level. Susan Holder seconded. Discussion was held including: dynamics may change over time over what we support (maybe the professional representatives on the Trust) so the assessment may change with the needs and the broader vision as it evolves. Vote: Unanimous approval.


Dialogue with Staff Development about CECP
The following were point made during this dialogue session. They were given as suggestion for the CECP team to consider or take action on relative to design and implementation.
-Efforts was first focused on Staff Development, with built components that allow for appropriate learning nuggets, generic to all, that could be adaptable to each state.
-Existing staff development curriculum development needs should come from the Program Leaders. Begin with current hard copies and work from there.
-Intellectual property rights vary across institutions.
-There is a need for a task-force on legal issues
-We could also continue to use the national juried review process.
-Take a look at the existing juried review process and the pilot procedures
-Process flow chart - to identify the taxonomy for 4-H that are important for staff development. We need to have identified components and nuggets to the level of the subject matter.
-Project is going through database structure identification, but standards for specific things have been established.
-Question on how to get this together. The development team will get the box of Astuff@, but it must be organized in electronic form. Don suggested that Kirt Astroth may have much of this material already.
-What is the deadline for developing the taxonomy priorities.
-Less staff more jobs are a factor.
-Money. CV credit, publications,
-Buying people's time.
-System allows "cells" to remain unfilled.
-Things to consider in the buy-in process: people, calendars, and resources.
-Most universities have "non" cooperative outreach efforts which would be valuable partners at the table.
-We need to contact Kirk about what is available through electronic means.
-What university may take on the responsibility for the financial aspects of this. Unanswered. Where would the server be - it will be centralized system.

Concluding comments about CECP:

We are very supportive of the project. We are extremely concerned that the project take into consideration the legal consequences and liability issues that must be addressed. We can take the core competencies of PRK and work with it as a system to base information for the project. Also see the Information Point (later in this document) to be shared with PLC committee.

August 26

Nolan Williams, Associate Director for North joined us for a short while.

Next Big Idea

Don Floyd discussed the need to plan for the Anext big idea@ to provide visibility and provide a forum for discussion and national dialogue. Several ideas which were discussed included:
Youth Action Councils
High Density Television
Outcomes from the pledge campaign - youth volunteering
Youth want to be involved in their own web site, own programming,
National clearinghouse for youth volunteering- linking computer technology with television (video and computer technology).
Land-Grant engagement outreach offices as collaborators (university wide extension engagement-e.g. PA, Clemson,)
K-12 focus, delivery of science
Young people involved in every possible youth governance opportunity
Infusion of community leadership focus in existing 4-H curriculum (to build leadership at the local level for enhancement of leadership, community service that stays local) philosophical approach to leadership to the community, (beyond personal leadership)
Also service learning at the collegiate level as a part of the college training
Community based mentoring training and program.
Learn and Serve America effort

* Farm Bill - Jane will be on teleconference at 11 A.M. Very quickly we hope to be engaged in allocation of the $3 million. National Council will need some for recovery of efforts, and coordination for some of the current Power of Youth efforts. Regions will need to decide best use of the remainder. CECP might be an option, After-school programming, adult/youth partnerships, etc. West will probably further their efforts in staff development - building upon the rookie session which was very successful. Need to focus and crystalize thought. National Council would help to staff these efforts. There is $6 million in the next cycle (amendment language) above the president=s budget and in the senate side (not in the house side), to be able to continue competitive funding in future years. In reality, the allocation per region has not been formalized.

Multi-State Programming
Discussion evolved to the work on multi-state work efforts. There has been a framework developed and a handout of component plans was distributed. This is on the web. This work was done 3 years ago. Other components from 4-H include staff development and character education.

It was suggested that a multi-state think tank to help work out details on how a multi-state effort would work, particularly in seeking grants and contracts. An example cited include utilizing regional / multi-state networks of city/county managers to address obesity. The topic of healthy lifestyles as a youth/adult partnership focus was mentioned. There are many opportunities for Apicking a topic@ in the decision making area.

Organizational structure, funding streams, fiscal responsibility, schedules are all in discussion at this point. Need a regional coordinator.

Charles Cox moved that Susan Holder of Mississippi be appointed to the regional coordinator role to work with National 4-H Council and the other regions to provide oversight for the allocation by acclimation. Seconded. Motion was approved by acclimation. The importance of collaboration and multi-state efforts will be enhanced by Susan=s appointment. This will provide a very good linkage with some of the current curricular efforts. Proximity to Southern Rural Development Center Staff is good. It must be perceived and true that each institution has a shot or benefit from this effort. Susan discussed the Multi-state initiatives. Use the url at the bottom of the page as a source on the web.

When the group met in April in the CCS Board Meeting, the attorney discussed the challenges with intellectual property and the sign-offs for those curriculum pieces. These efforts were taken to limit liability for the Board of Directors for sale of the materials. National 4-H Council still cannot assume responsibility for the curriculum due to the continued level of risk. They are now are working on a two path approach, agreed upon by the executive leaders of both groups. Filing was just completed to establish a legal entity for CCS, Inc. All curriculum will move into that entity. As curriculum comes up at the five year level, National 4-H Council will try to move to new material so they have clear title. There is another issue. In the spirit of working relationships in 1987, the University of Minnesota assumed fiscal and distribution of CCS materials. Since then it has grown into a $2 million dollar operation, quite an enterprise. Questions have been raised about whether it is a part of or a separate entity from the University. It has a separate entity at the University from a fiscal perspective. This, with the IRS, creates a personal exposure to CCS Board of Directors. National 4-H Council is now requesting a 115 Status on behalf of the CCS board of directors with the IRS to alleviate this problem. This move basically shows documents that the CCS board members are legal government employees, doing this for the benefit of the government. The standards for fiscal accountability are not as great. The documentation of status interpretation is not yet completed at this time. The legal and tax problems are not yet completely over. It is hoped that September delivery of printed materials will be on schedule.

A policy manual was suggested, and National Council has done a multi-page recap of the issues. There are some good bench-mark points to assist with this.

In September there will be a review and selection from four outstanding candidates who have applied to assume the role of CCS coordinator.

Name and emblem update
The national committee sent it=s report in and has ceased to function. Jane told us in April that it was at the attorney=s office. The statute citation will most likely remain, but not the words AProtected under@. Waiting on it for final approval and publishing.

Southern Regional Fund

The self-assessment fund for National and Regional Strategic Directions Team (youth and adult) has been supported by all 13 states; this was reported by Terril Faul, Louisiana. Currently this annual assessment pays for a volunteer and the youth to participate in all of the meetings of the Strategic Directions team. Funding needs to remain. Eventually, we may want to condense these types of funding for national leadership responsibilities. It was the consensus of the group to leave the fiscal management with Louisiana. Contributions from individual states this year would likely be $250 (pays for youth and volunteers involved in NSDT) based on past history. Professionals pay through general state travel. Trust does take a lot of time. It was suggested that the original $500 be continued as a way to cover costs for all. Discussion on this continued. It would be helpful to have several of the costs combined and examined as we look at forwarding the National Strategic Plan and the trust efforts.

2004 Biannual meeting
The next Biannual meeting is scheduled for February 29 through March 3, 2004, $145 per room, parking available, Hotel Montelion, New Orleans. Martha has sent all the information about the conference to Louisiana on a CD. Louisiana has outlined the planning committees and will be working toward a very good conference. The multi-university review team and proceedings are good for individuals P&T packets. Individuals may sign up to serve on the review teams. A stronger proceedings would be a good addition to the meeting. Next year at the PLC meeting (August), the meeting agenda should be reviewed by the 4-H Program Leaders. Charles Cox moved and it was seconded that the name should be changed to Biannual conference. Motion passed. It was also suggested that all points of contact be web-based - registration, abstracts, agenda, and proceedings.

Southern Regional Leader Forum
South Carolina is chairing, registration is moving ahead. The group discussed whether or not the money would be going to the hosting state as opposed to the money going to Rock Eagle. Last year it went to Rock Eagle and then it was reimbursed to the hosting state. The host state does need to pay for the planning meeting in November and then be reimbursed. They=ve been asked to design a candlelight ceremony for volunteers on the last evening. It is very hard to keep track of day participants which comes mostly from individuals from Georgia.

Strategic Directions Team
Dorothy Wilson reported that SDT had a very good meeting. She distributed a copy of a letter and a summary of the meeting. They continue to examine the Strategic Plan, looked at changes and suggestions for the components of the plan. Had good representation from representative groups. One key thing they discussed was inclusion of youth and diverse representation on all committees. It is hard to track, monitor and evaluate movement toward plan achievement. It should be implemented across all levels. All county faculty should be involved in this effort. Summary recommendations are listed in the letter from Jeff King, chair of the committee. It is important to utilize the 4-H Clover and name on all youth development activities done by Extension.

Discussion moved to the reporting of 4-H participation using existing software and the possibility of eventually moving to a Web-based system. Oklahoma uses a 4-H enrollment system on Access and they are pleased with it. There are two major systems being used. There is a need to look at this across the states. Security issues are one component.

Conversation with Jane Coulter, USDA, CREES
* General update from the office - quite pleased to visit with the group. Her goals for the uni are in two major areas: Expand and strengthen the FCS/4-H resource base at USDA and better serve customer.

* There are in a series of steps - staff realignment and to strengthen middle management - Director for Family Consumer Science and Nutrition and also in 4-H. They are rethinking the liaison responsibilities to different organizations. Also launching special initiatives to achieve more on the collaborative front. Includes details to work with HHS to work in Children=s research area; also want someone to work in NSF in the research area; both to open new opportunities through enhanced relationships. Also looking for state people to serve on review panels and other functions within those organizations. She is also trying to get clearance on new staffing for two additional shared faculty (pay a portion of the faculty + some operating). These individuals would stay back in the state, but serve national. Also wants to add a .25 FTE from 1890 institution. Also wants to add a .5 FTE shared faculty to focus on diversity and minority participation in youth development. These all must be run through higher administration. A bench-marking process for human sciences has also been partially funded. Moving forward with executive budget request that relates primarily with obesity (from childhood to geriatric). Still in the discussion phase, so it is not a absolute, yet. One thing that might come out of this could be a competitive grant program.
*Finally, one of special initiatives they are trying to launch is a concern about the crisis in developing and attracting young people to leadership roles. Want to sponsor a national forum (leadership renaissance for 150 people). In the preplanning process right now. Some 4-H people involved in the planning committee.
Announcement for the Deputy Administrator closes on August 30th. Now selected the secretary for the 4-H youth development unit - Leon Thomas. Next week two positions will be announced which will replace Virginia Giobeli - Program Leader at the 13 level and a totally new position who would assist with the national conferences (11-12 level). Also can announce the new director in 4-H youth development within about 48 hours. Anna May Colby has been selected in the Family and Consumer Sciences position. One thing looked at closely, for youth director was a commitment to a research agenda. Hopefully announcement will be soon.
Name and Emblem: nothing has happened recently. Her staff is working intensely to try to get the changes as recommended into the regulations. This would be the easier way to go. Do not yet have a final document. The department, in the final analysis will probably go that way. No surprises, but just a slow laborious project.
Farm Bill Funds - Rural youth development funds should be announced soon, but the Secretary retains the right to announce the grants. She did share the top rank proposal was submitted by the National 4-H Council and they asked for the full 3 Million and will receive it. It should be formally announced next week. Thinking about holding a meeting of the 3 recipients. Boy Scouts declined to apply. 8 million is divided among 4-H, FFA and Girl Scouts. All three proposals address stellar projects. She expects that Congress will say these three proposals are good investments of public dollars.

Her thoughts on the next Abig idea@ - a couple points - the department will have a birthday party on October 8th to continue to elevate the visibility of 4-H at the national level. Asked Alan Smith to look at the strategic plan to lay out some groundwork to help with USDA assigned tasks and implementation of their responsibilities. Next week she can go forward with one new staff position (all of FCS/4-H). She feels they could be respond by seeking a position which would focus on new staff development. Don noted that 4-H has a unique role in bringing staff development from a research basis. She feels that a position in this area would be a good match - good positioning with the land-grant institutions, etc.
Susan Holder discussed CECP, as a focus on staff development which is web based and that 4-H program leaders should further the PRK as part of the effort. We and she are interested in using this for both professionals and volunteers new staff training.
Some conversations about the future of web-based data collection and programs of excellence were held with Jane. At USDA, these materials are used extensively, but in her brief tenure, she is not expert in this data collection. They are developing a system for one-stop shopping for Research and Extension. They are trying to link 30 different data systems. 4-H could be better integrated into this and has been encouraged to participate in the discussion. Many of the National 4-H staff have plans to participate in NAE4-HA.
Discussion continued on the commitment of ECOP and USDA to the philosophy that 4-H is the youth development program of Extension. Some places are not utilizing this definition. This is a continuing issue for us. It is an area of significant interest to her. She is caught in-between. They can readily support that everything Extension does is 4-H, but they also support the youth development agenda at USDA including FFA, Girl Scouts, mentoring, etc. A great deal of CYFAR is 4-H, but some of it is not. That is a difficult deciphering process. It is really program specific and dependant upon the authorizing legislation.

PLN proposal
Charles Cox - in the packet at registration there was a proposal for the SR- Program Leader Network. Concerns and questions need to be forwarded to the PLC on Wednesday morning. Primary areas of consideration include:
-organization of the executive committee - this is a big change, but creates a structure similar to trust so that all voices are together to help things move things forward more quickly. Directors need to have an opportunity to really network with program leaders, not seem it as just another event. There is a representative system which may leave some voices out.
- the requirement of people to participate, whether appointed or selected, if you fail to execute your duties, a replacement will be made.
- attempt to overlap the current PLC and directors meeting so that they can spend at least one day together. This impacts the timing of this meeting which has always been held the last week of August. This would require moving the traditional date to the last week of September. The southern directors and 1890 administrators don=t necessarily have a hard and fast dateBit has been more availability and host specific. If there is to be Program Leader Network - it should be a hard and fast date for planning purposes. Next year=s couldn=t be the third week of September due to Galaxy in Utah. Any October dates would be more difficult for 4-H Program Leaders

The main thing the task force would need are major conflicts with the last week of August or September that would prevent meeting. It does eventually need to be a recurring date. This date was originally try to avoid problems with the seven different groups. Another consideration is that the 1890 community because of their academic involvement are very busy at their own institutions. PLC has generally tried to accommodate this local need and waited until the beginning of school is over. State Fairs are also an issue for selected states. The rotation of states for ASRED is on their website. For the state directors the meeting is scheduled in Arkansas. It will show up in all thirteen states and Virgin Islands/ Puerto Rico.

The leadership conference proposed is a rewarding training opportunity for the incoming executive members of the executive group. Dr. Foster clarified some of the points in the proposal.

Experiential Learning Design Team
Dorothy Wilson on the committee. Darlene Baker is coming off the committee. The exact status of the Committee within and between SDT, USDA, and the Trust is not clear. It appears it is currently be used for strategic planning implementation. A very complete matrix of criteria and thorough content has been prepared relative to involvement in implementation of the Strategic Plan. Each region has an 1890 and 1862. Dorothy will be going off. Probably need one more person from Southern Region.

Congressional Awards
Linda M from Mississippi (from Middle Management) presented information of the Congressional Awards and discussed how one state has combined this award with the 4-H record book. She serves on the national board. They will be doing a state presentation of the award and are very excited about it. Once a child registers for the recognition, the timing and donated hours begin. The certificate level is mailed and the other higher levels are presented. This is a very good opportunity to recognize young people who are already doing the work and the 4-H record book is recognized by the award process. The paperwork does need to be completed in four areas: community service, personal development (4-H record book counts), physical fitness, over- night camp-out at increasing level for each of the three recognition areas.

Core Competencies for 4-H Staff Development
For CECP we need to establish priorities so that we can begin to outline and fill the Youth Development section of the new staff orientation modules. General discussion focused on the following areas:
-Biggest threat to this organization is acquiring resources. - Don
-Grounding in organizational systems for youth development are seen by some as important. (Marilyn)
-Youth and adult development married with organizational systems. (Thearon)

Entomology guide
A publication has been developed in Mississippi that helps young people be prepared for competition of the ABug Bowl@ (reference / study guide for an event). If it only applies to specific events in a limited number of states, those states need to insure that it has content validity and credited authors. Need to insure that it is free of problems of intellectual property. Suggest that it be put on CD and web for easy access. It may not be worth printing at the volume level.

Master Naturalist
A program similar to MG that has a regional train the trainer group. Separate programs in separate states, with independent decision making about applications for youth programming.

Retirement Plan - Arch Smith

A donation is needed for a retirement gift for Bill Umscheid. The amount will most likely be approximately $40-$45. Others who have left include Mike Davis and Steve Mullins. Charles mentioned that the Oklahoma Centennial Plate was available as a gift. $40 dollars was collected for gifts for those recently retired.

Staff Directory
Colorado has agreed, with compensation, to complete a directory for state leaders and state 4-H staffs. A new query will be initiated to update the current southern list. It needs to be web-based, but may still be in print form.

State Reports (many with written reports)
Don Floyd asked that we respond to two specific questions: How much of Smith Lever dollars really go to 4-H? And what are states approaches to fees and cost recovery.

Oklahoma: Dorothy shared report on activities at Langston University. They=ve had many changes and reorganization. They have state staff, but no county staff. Worked with projects in goats and catfish. Still growing and still in existence. Did participate in national level events.
Charles shared a few highlights including the core competencies for volunteers, centennial plate, volunteer certification, tree plantings, establishment of a permanent display at a historical 4-H meeting hall, restructuring state and district officers, staff changes, collegiate 4-H, and partnerships.

Mississippi: Susan discussed extensive restructuring based on guiding principles. Also provided three program highlights on centennial celebration, Health Rocks, and CYFAR Bridging the GAP programs. Handout provided.

Arkansas: Darlene shared information in two handouts and verbally. Handouts: 4-H Family Boatbuilding and aquatic resources and 4-H Can Make a Difference. They are willing to share either and for the boatbuilding there will be a replication training program.

Georgia: Arch Smith passed around copies of his Annual Report. Despite budget cuts and dwindling resources (12% cut), they have increased interest in the program. Have tried to work positively toward redirecting some of the faculty rate toward Hispanic programming, and work with the expansion of a 4-H center near south Atlanta for year round work. Plus some redirection of resources toward grant-writing. Also been asked by University of Georgia Athletic Equestrian Team for greater outreach involvement opportunities. Georgia 4-H Foundation actually owns the horses which are being ridden and they will work to expand opportunities. Also working at starting an annual legacy ball (2001) to honor major donor/supporter; it was very successful - ($70,000). Then did follow-up with a picnic in the park ($30 per person, BBQ, band), for alumni - had wonderful success with this. Will do a centennial ball in 2004. Summer camping program involved young people with a one day on-campus experience for a Astudent day on campus@. This year they actually spent one night on campus, went swimming on campus, exposed to classes, etc. Admissions talked with them. Evaluation of the program, 80% of students they would continue in the 4-H program as high school students and possibly continue at UGA (20%). Very good linkages and support within the University. Also honored 18 individual as founders of Rock Eagle 4-H Center.

Florida: Marilyn shared that she was still learning more everyday. Some days are more frustrating than others. Several very good programs are being conducted at the state level: 4-H Congress, a mock legislature, and good camping programs. County programs, for the most part, are very strong and viable.

Kentucky: George Duncon was very appreciate of the opportunity to work with 4-H and learn about program across the states. Kentucky 4-H has some great traditions going on, good celebrations across the state, have a great report to share. Conversations have been highlighted with programs of excellence, now in published form. Great way to inform 4-H, legislators, etc. Working hard on the development of volunteers (leaders forum with 40 sessions, awards), volunteer administration academy-credit course, white paper on volunteerism, curriculum development, and friends of 4-H foundation. He is taking a hard look at what are the areas of emphasis that 4-H should be focused on in the next few years?

Louisiana: Terril Faul reported on efforts including: mosquito education in 7 counties (via help from outside state agency) through 4-H community service education. Getting started on the 4-H year, have 10 new 4-H agent positions advertized as a result of a 1 cent tobacco tax. Have a very positive image with legislators and are looking forward to doing a great deal of programming. Also doing character education in all the parishes in the state. Centennial celebrating has been going on all year. Getting a state 4-H museum. Rhodes Scholars program - used as a way to bring agents together in general programming and tolerance.

North Carolina: Thearon McKinney discussed the quality and quantity of good programs. He noted in response to a question from Don Floyd that they have many program fees, materials fees, etc. Camps are in the black and are required to have a business plan. Budget crisis caused reduction in travel and phone calls in fourth quarter. Continue to lose faculty positions. Right now they are not cutting people. Legislature is now wanting overhead on grants and contracts. In spite of that, great things are happening - great Centennial, conversation, managing national youth action council process, have 26 applications from counties to be pilot counties; Will continue to celebrate, coffee table book on 4-H (Ohio, Missouri) - will be doing the same thing. Gala provided $200,000. City to city visit by kids. Hands around the capitol (plan to do every year) Beginning to vision the NC Leadership trust (foundation, young people, volunteer association, agents, + program marketing, etc.) Migrant education program has great potential. Dean has asked 4-H to develop a codicil with College of Education to build college courses in youth development aligned with PRK. Very excited about what is happening in NC.

South Carolina: Barbara reported on continuing to learn. Are planning first comprehensive training for 4-H agents - solid intro to 4-H plus visioning activities. Restructured from 13 clusters to 5 regions and are in the process of exploring the coverage and responsibilities for 4-H programming, along with developing relationships within discipline areas. Examining role of 4-H agents (volunteer managers versus direct educator role). Working to Build volunteer specialist outreach again. Refocusing with fairs. As part of overall University restructuring, there are changes within the department of family youth and community development. That department is now aligning with an Institute on campus. Much discussion about how to work effectively - now will become a research/extension academic program with teaching responsibilities. Not anticipating new hiring for a while, waiting on Legislative action to see what will happen in the future. The new 1890 Extension administrator is truly interested in collaborating efforts between institutions. Robin Glenn has been the state 4-H leader at the 1890, but it is still in flux. Golf Tournament coming up in the near future. Do charge fees for programs, but may not cover all the costs. No membership fees.

Tennessee: Steve Sutton reported that they have no budget cuts this year, but have experienced a flat budget for several years. Re-staffing plan was incorporated in 2001, as well as an early-out (34 took that). Re-staffing has impacted all levels. Program fees are charged to recoup costs. Program highlights - Seeds of Service started in October of 2000, engaged over 90,000 youth in service learning projects. Awarded $59,000 in mini-grants to youth projects. Hired service learning camp staff for summer camp teaching of community service. Good website. Included community service as a focus for many meetings.

Texas: Martha reported on centennial activities. Worked with Houston Comets - got 300 kids there last year. Will expand that next year. Are planning within the Texas University system to establish the 4-H / youth agenda for research in the Texas system. Started a partnership with higher education coordinator board on recruitment for college. Have a legislative initiative for 4-H in urban settings. The last three legislative initiatives have been successful. Building character project is going well. Continue to work with the livestock ethics problems. Two positions are vacant.

No reports from the remaining southern states / territories.

Information items to be forwarded to overall Program Leaders Committee

We have discussed the CECP project and are very supportive of the system development. 4-H has already developed a taxonomy of core competencies which are appropriate for inclusion in the project. We have a singular concern with CECP which we have brought forward to the CECP planning committee, leadership, and to the Staff Development dialogue during PLC. Through direct experience related to the development of the national Cooperative Curriculum System, we know the legal and liability issues of intellectual property MUST be addressed before the project begins to assimilate content and shared ownership among the institutions. This is an imperative. We must learn to listen to others and to learn from their experiences. Please instruct the leadership of this group to take advantage of the offered advice of legal counsel (given by Don Floyd), before making any further comments.

The SR-PLN has a missing element in the Executive Committee in that all program committees are missing at the table, or their voices have been reduced to a lesser voice through a representative process. The stakeholders at the Executive level need to come from all program committees, or at least take a look at the citizen stakeholders of the future. These future stakeholders should not be represented at the table on a hit or miss effort. At the risk of having a larger executive committee, all the program committees need to be represented. We believe the process has been productive, but that the schedules of the directors and the PLC need to be more overlapping at joint meetings. The new alignment sacrifices the representation from all program areas. It is important to move the agenda together.

Officers and Terms
Chair: Martha Couch
V Chair: Bo Ryles
Chair Elect: Charles Cox
Secretary: Marilyn Norman

Joint meeting with FCS and CRD:
Introductions were made around the room. 34 program leaders and guests present. Six additional individuals joined the group late.

CRD shared a brochure on ACreating Vibrant communities in the south@. Their representative discussed that SRDC has prepared and is willing to coordinate this collective effort. There are still slots available for some of the upcoming programs. She requested help in sharing this information with relevant staff, particularly at the field or specialist level so they can take advantage of the opportunities. State professional associations would also be a good place to share this information. The group is open to additional ideas and are most willing to answer questions. This might also be good to offer a track at some of the professional meetings (biannual meeting). Question was raised about accessing CYFAR net (suggested via FCS).

Don Floyd discussed some opportunities which we want to make available to young people to focus on youth/adult partnerships, after-school programming and staff development. There should also be additional money in the Farm Bill next year. Through some very good relationships 4-H is trying to do a better job at coordinating lobbying efforts. Youth leadership in governance is a very strong focus for 4-H and there are great opportunities to partner with FCS and CRD in particular. Some of the early work can be enhanced through the after-school program and CRD can help us better focus on youth education in community leadership positions. Starter kits are being developed for after-school programs as models that will help agents begin at the local level. Rural Health Outreach - 4-H is trying to reach into other departments, building relationships, and seeking the opportunity to channel earmarked dollars. There is a natural linkage with the rural health and in many others; it=s important to seek out the Ahunting@ list available in the Federal departments.

Several topical areas which would be of interest across all areas: Youth Entrepreneurship, Rural Health; Childhood obesity; inmate education; assimilation of parents and families after release;

Department of Education has a healthy schools summit coming up this fall.

Another idea is working with community food markets who are now working with the schools-has many spin offs opportunities.

Financial planning for middle schools might be also a good way to address economic stability of families. Financial Champions (7-8-9) from Arkansas. They are seeking feedback- have done interactive Web components.

Creating Vibrant communities in rural America - concept book with statistics and trends. Also on the SRDC website.

Multi-state Initiatives which are on the website - several years ago, we were all charged to do multi-state plans; some which have overlapping efforts include: volunteerism, character education, curriculum, workforce development programming for youth.

Concern about consistency of programming and collection of impact consistently across several states was expressed. Multi-state programming has much room to grow. Maybe we need to develop some things together. Possibly CECP would be one overlapping area, or child obesity, FSNews. We need to be able to find something that we can find something to collect common data. Some requires a specific financial commitment - that could be in-kind or in percentage of time, or travel, etc.

CRD has shifted into a train the trainer model or skill building / tool development. They are available across the disciplines.

Professional Development may be an area that has some overlap.

One that is not on the plate, yet, is Hispanic programming, particularly migrant populations; curriculum, program offerings. An inventory is being compiled about Latino programming (sent to ListServe(s) in FCS, 4-H, CRD. NC Region has sponsored a program and a webpage on Hispanic language publications. It was suggested that we also look at a migrant and non-migrant programming; the needs of these two groups are different. There are many subsets of these groups and they do not perceive the world, its environment, and language the same. A committee needs to look at this entire issue. International experiences are very valuable in staff development or we need to bring in new diverse staff from the targeted population. People dealing with Title 1C staff can also provide quality training in working with diverse audiences. Many of the groups have already been assessed in terms of needs, but to move to the next level. There are scattered 4-H Spanish publications and video.

Barbara Speziale will follow up on the diversity / minority delivery systems.

Lynn Hoggard (NC) Susan Barefoot (SC) will work on the childhood obesity effort.

Charles Cox report back from the Program Leadership Committee
CECP wants to move forward with one piece; 4-H needs to have one person on the CECP overall committee, each program area should submit one component. Darlene will represent the group on the CECP meeting. The group heard our comments, but it doesn=t necessarily mean it will make any difference.

Calendar Dates for quarterly meetings:
Next year PLC meeting in Little Rock - August 24-27, 2003.
July 10, 2003 teleconference 9 eastern, 8 central
April 8-10, National 4-H program leaders meeting, (Las Vegas)
March 27, 2003, teleconference, 9 Eastern, 8 Central
January 16, teleconference, 9 Eastern, 8 Central
October 24, teleconference, 9 Eastern, 8 Central

Charles Cox assumes leadership for this position as chair. The group expressed appreciation to Martha for her work as chair. She shared a memento of remembrance to each person present. Charles closed the meeting at 9:45 A.M.

Action Items for PLC: None

Action to other Groups:

To the 4-H Trust: It was the consensus of the group that the issue of delegates for national 4-H events and committees be addressed. The issue is whether the two institutions in a state should have a combined set of delegates (the usual process) or whether the 1890's should be seen as a separate delegate pool to come to the NYDC and other events or group. The encouragement for greater diversity is a driving force behind this discussion. There is a need for clarification on how this is to be accomplished for various events, but in particular regarding NYDC, now that we have reached this level of sophistication in its development.
Information Items:
We looked at an Entomology guide that had come through ANR. We were concerned that it does not meet national 4-H curriculum standards and did not provide proper citations. We would not recommend printing the item in it current format.

The SR-PLN has a missing element in the Executive Committee in that all program committees are missing at the table, or their voices have been reduced to a lesser voice through a representative process. While the current leadership may represent all groups, that may not always be the case. The stakeholders at the Executive level need to come from all program committees, or at least take a look at the citizen stakeholders of the future. These future stakeholders should not be represented at the table on a hit or miss effort. At the risk of having a larger executive committee, all the program committees need to be represented. We believe the process can be productive, especially if the schedules of the directors, administrators and the PLC are more overlapping at joint meetings. It is important to move the agenda together.

Calendar Dates for quarterly meetings:
Next year PLC meeting in Little Rock - August 24-27, 2003.
July 10, 2003 teleconference 9 eastern, 8 central
April 8-10, National 4-H program leaders meeting, (Las Vegas)
March 27, 2003, teleconference, 9 Eastern, 8 Central
January 16, teleconference, 9 Eastern, 8 Central
October 24, teleconference, 9 Eastern, 8 Central

Officers and Terms:
Chair: Charles Cox, OK, through August 2004 meeting
V Chair: Bo Ryles, GA
Secretary: Marilyn Norman, FL through the August 2003 meeting
PLC Reps: 1862, Charles Cox, OK, extended through 2005
1890, Robin Glenn, SC, through 2004

Representative to CECP Task Force: Darlene Baker, AR.